14 September 2012

Yoga, rain, yoga

It's been a rainy few days. And when I say rain, I don't mean the half-hearted drizzle that we get in Europe most of the time. Or well yes, there can be that as well, but when it actually rains, it really pours. It's like turning on a faucet. With the view from our terrace we have a prime location of seeing the gray mass of clouds rolling in until even the sea isn't visible anymore.

And did I mention the wind? Yesterday we experienced the first, full-on tropical storm. Let's just say I'm glad I wasn't outdoors. And felt really bad for the poor bastard on a boat we saw out on the sea. Hope he didn't drown. It was a proper gale, we even had to take our hammock down as it started banging against the windows. But the cottage walls and windows held, we remained dry (if you don't take the air humidity into account), and even the poor scooter left all alone outside in the storm managed to stay upright. So storm 0 - us 1, yay. I'm sure it's not the last one that blows our way, but at least now we know that we can survive them. If not trapped outdoors. Or at sea. The bright side was that despite a 1 hour power blackout just before the storm hit, the power stayed on and the Internet miraculously worked throughout the storm. So that's another yay!

It's not supposed to be the monsoon season just yet, and the weather forecast promises better weather for next week. Keep those thumbs up for us!


Then off to a yoga related rant. If you're not interested in that, feel free to stop reading now :)

On Tuesday I started an intensive yoga class at Agama yoga. They offer a one month first level class that you can pay per day (400 baht), per week or per month (6 900 baht) and it includes 4 hours of yoga (asana practice, meditation) a day plus an evening lecture that I've managed to miss every single day, so I don't know how long that one is (I'd suppose 1 hour or so). 5 days a week. So if you have time to dedicate to plough some serious spiritual pathways, why not give it a go if you have the chance.

I'm still not quite sure if the spiritual and cosmic aspect is for me, but I'm gonna take part in the course as well as I can. I'll probably not get the certificate as I'm pretty sure I can't take part in all the lectures, as they are in the evening and I quess I need to work as well ;). But it's pretty neat that after paying the course fee, you can repeat the first level classes as many times as you want free of charge, so we'll see if I'll have the chance to get some of the lectures done as well.

The Agama style is Hatha yoga (some Kundalini as well I quess...), which means that they hold the asanas for a LONG time. This is something I'm not used to, and I think I prefer the more flowing type of Yoga, but I'm determined to go through with the course anyway. My back muscles are already complaining, so I think I'll need to give them a massage before next weeks course. If after the month I decide I need a change, there are other places that offer Ashtanga. The only yoga I've done so far at the gym is Jivamukti, so Ashtanga would be something new as well. Live and learn I say, so better try out everything they have to offer :)

Stay tuned for more excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment